JCS began in 1998 as a project of the Presbyterian church of East Africa (PCEA) which is also operating under the Board of Social Responsibility with the initial operation in East of Nairobi. During its formative years, JCS received a lot of support with seed capital and operating grant from Interchurch Organization for Development (ICCO) and the PCEA church. With the financial support, the institution’s credit operations expanded significantly, and it became de-linked from the rest of the church day-to-day operations and be registered as a separate business entity the process was completed in March 2003.
Over the years JCS has existed as a non-regulated micro finance institution, financing its operations through concessional and commercial loans. With the passing into law of the Microfinance Act in 2006, JCS commenced the process of transforming into a deposit-taking microfinance institution, to be regulated by the Central Bank of Kenya. JITEGEMEA Credit Scheme has since become a fully-fledged Micro-finance Institution incorporated as a limited company by guarantee under the Companies ACT (Cap 486) of the Laws of Kenya. Due to financial nature of its work, JCS runs as an independent entity from all other Church social and development activities.
- Financial rating – JCS attained a B+ during a financial rating that was conducted by Microfinance Rating in October 2013.
- Social Rating – This is the assessment of the social performance of JITEGEMEA with focus on the ability to translate their mission into practice and to achieve social goals. Social rating was conducted and JITEGEMEA was awarded a B.
- Certificate of Appreciation for supporting the BTL Run for the Bible less held on 11th March 2017 at Uhuru Gardens
- Oiko Credit award for loyal partnership and social performance management 2011.
- Visited by the Princess Maxima of Netherlands
- Participated in several international forums.
LIKE TO JOIN JITEGEMEA CREDIT FOR LOANS AND SAVINGS?
Call us on +254 722 207 637, 0733 207 000